Monday, April 11, 2011

Licorice Jell-O?

I have been slacking a little bit lately on my candy-making, but don't worry, I've been eating plenty all week. I have been trying to find a good recipe for licorice ever since my afternoon date with Nibs last week at work. The fact that Original Twizzlers take 15 hours to make in the factory makes me a little nervous, but diligent in my efforts nonetheless. Something that takes that long to make HAS to be delicious right?


I tend to lean towards recipes that have less ingredients for a couple reasons
  1. It's cheaper!
  2. Less ways to screw up
  3. Usually means less mess afterwards
  4. They are cheaper! (yes this deserves two bullet points...)
    So that being said, I found many many recipes online that were very similar to this one and with only four ingredients what could go wrong, right? Here's my first version
    Licorice Jell-O?
    Red Licorice


    2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
    3 packets sugar-free Cherry Jell-o
    4 cups water
    2 tsps anise extract


    Steamy Licorice Jell-O
    1. Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water and let dissolve.


    2. Bring remaining 3 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add gelatin mixture and Jello to water, stirring until all sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add anise extract.


    3. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch pan. Place in refrigerator to set. When completely set, cut into desired pieces and serve.





    I think you all have made Jell-O, and that's what this looked like, so that's why there aren't very many pictures.


    Sambuca, oh the memories...
    or lack thereof I should say!
    So, this seems remarkably similar to Jell-O Jigglers right? It is. It's pretty much the same exact thing only it tasted like cherry/black licorice....weird. The anise extract tastes like licorice and is usually used to flavor cakes and cookies. I have never really been a black licorice fan, and now after my college years, the smell just reminds me taking nasty shots of Sambuca liquor (which tastes like black licorice). Just the smell gets my salivary glands a going, and not in a good way!


    Anyhow, this attempt at licorice just made my house smell like black licorice and now I have a pan of the weirdest Jell-O Jigglers I've ever tasted. I will continue my search for a better licorice recipe and keep you updated!
    Weird...
    Cherry/Black Licorice Jell-O

    No comments:

    Post a Comment