Thursday, May 5, 2011

Shoot the Rainbow

Today I took a new spin on candy and tried a candy drink.  I found this recipe on www.stumbleupon.com (another great time wasting site with lots of interesting info). I know I've told you about how I've enjoyed my fair share of Ski-beers (beer with Skittles) but this recipe takes it a bit further and mixes in vodka! Could be dangerous...
"Infused" Skittles Vodka
Here's my process:


Skittles Vodka
2 - 1lb bags of original Skittles
1.75 liters vodka (don't go for the cheap stuff though)
coffee filters
5 empty bottles
---don't worry, you can eat the extra Skittles and drink the extra vodka later! ;)


Separating the Skittles
I had to have my dish of mixed Skittles
on the side so for inspiration :)
1. Separate your Skittles by color into 5 bowls. While doing this I found that there really is more yellow skittles than the other colors in a bag!! I knew it! (poor yellows aren't many peoples favorites, yet there are just soo many of them!!) You'll need roughly 10 skittles per ounce of vodka e.g. I used 80 Skittles for 8 oz vodka.


2. Measure out your vodka into the empty bottles and add your Skittles.


3. Now, shake, shake, shake the bottles!! The more the better. Let the Skittles "infuse" the vodka overnight, shaking a couple time throughout the "infusion process". Let it infuse. I just like the word "infuse" :)
Pre-shake/infusion bottles


4. You'll notice that there are some major floaters and there may be some last remnants of Skittles in the bottles. You will filter that out with coffee filters inserted in a funnel inserted in a large glass. I used about 2 filters per bottle.


5. Return the strained drink to the bottles, store in a freezer, and serve in shot glasses. Shoot the rainbow!! 


Post-shake/infusion bottles, notice the
nasty-ness on the tops. This is why you
need to strain it.
As I'm not a coffee drinker, I had no coffee filters .
I tried to substitute paper towels.
That didn't work. They were "quicker picker uppers"
& just soaked everything up :(
After another trip to HyVee for coffee filters, it worked much better.
This will take a bit, so be patient, & you might have to squeeze the
last liquid out of the filter too, so don't do this before you go
 to anything important that you don't want to smell like vodka at...hah!
 
Finished product--if you have something fancier to put them in,
that'd be good, but my resources were a little limited
 here in Vermillion for glass resealable bottles,
so emptied water bottles it is!
I was a little nervous before the first shot I took with no chaser, but I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't even need one and it really did taste just like a Skittle...who'da thought?? :) This would be something great to bring to parties, or just keep in your freezer for after you have a tough day at work...hehe, just kidding! But seriously, it's good! Shoot the Rainbow!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hun, thanks for the info. I totally followed your lead on this one. Your right...let it sit OVERNIGHT. lol I got antsy and couldn't wait to try it, but after letting it sit... MUCH BETTER. Also- word of advice to all... Make sure you have coffee filters, otherwise you will drink pure sugar..yuck.
    Anywhoos! Very Neat- thanks again!

    ReplyDelete