Monday, February 28, 2011

Apple Candy Take One

This weekend I tried a recipe for Apple Candy--there was no picture with the recipe so I'm not sure what they were "supposed" to look like. They do look kinda pretty, but I'm pretty sure the taste was not correct. 
The recipe starts with me cooking applesauce and adding sugars, gelatin, & cornstarch until a taffy-like mixture comes out. I cooked & cooked and added & added ingredients but it never got any thicker than the applesauce I started with. So I used too much gelatin with my gummy worms and now not enough with my apple candy (two packets). 


Nasty-ness in the bottom
of the pan
Nonetheless, I poured the mixture into the pan and let it sit overnight like the recipe directed. I dumped/plopped it out on the counter and dusted it with powdered sugar. 


Only one piece got eaten. The flavor wasn't horrible, it was just the gummy/runny/chunky texture that wasn't enjoyable as all candy deserves to be. So, in the trash it went, I couldn't even get Matt to try any--I guess the look on my face after I tried it was enough to keep him away from it...haha! 


If you have heard of or made a candy like this before, please let me know what I did wrong--it has potential! Can't get everything perfect on the first try right?

No comments:

Post a Comment