Saturday, February 19, 2011

Kelso vs. Gummy Worm - Round 1

I've attempted (attempt is the key word here) to make gummy worms and while I did end up with something that resembled a colorful gummy steak, well done, I can't say that it would be digestible by humans.


My parents got to taste test, or gnaw-test, my creation. Mom said that maybe I could use the recipe for bulletproof vests or drink coasters (because they are apparently very similar in composition?), Dad used it as a weapon, which explains why my Twizzlers licorice often is used as a whip... but sadly neither could claim it as an edible anything.  

"In 1981, German gummi candy manufacturer, Mederer Corporation, developed the first gummi worm under the Trolli name. The intent of the gummi worm was to create a candy that would be mildly shocking to parents. Gummi bears and worms remain the top selling gummi items on the candy market today." www.farleysandsathers.com
Well, I have the shocking part down...

Trolli, hands down, has the best "Gummi" candies around. The brand has been passed through many famous companies such as Mederer, Favorite Foods, Inc., Nabisco, Kraft, Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, and now Farley's & Sathers Company based in Round Lake, MN, which is only about 2 hours from Vermillion. In the past I have actually applied for a production line job at Farley's & Sathers with no luck due to lack of experience-if only they could see me now! Wait...never mind...probably a good call on their part.

Anyhow, even though Trolli has been under different ownerships, their products are always consistently delicious, unique, & NOT rubber-like. Trolli is my "gummi" idol.

Since I don't have any worm-shaped candy molds, I settled for pouring the mixture into a pan and cutting worm shaped slices. Except that I couldn't cut through my gummy rubber slab with a knife :( The recipe I tried called for lots of gelatin, about 17 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin!! Gelatin is used as a gelling agent in cooking, and is a common ingredient in foods like Jello Jigglers, marshmallows, jams, candy corn & other gummy candies. And yes, it's made from animal bones... but my view on gelatin is much like my view on hot dogs: who cares-they are delicious!

Since I've never tried making any candy like this, I'm not sure exactly went wrong but I'm assuming that the large amount of gelatin was the problem? I've decided not to share recipes that don't turn out because I don't want to place blame on the recipe when it could very well be on the confectioner (if I can call myself that yet), so a recipe will be posted only after a successful treat is created.

I've found a second recipe to try, with less gelatin. I wanted a candy adventure, and I guess everything won't turn out on the first try right?

Check back for round two of Kelso vs. Gummy Worm coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment