Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chocolate Pizza

What's not to like about Chocolate Pizza? Nothing! Especially since it's an easy candy to make while I build my confidence.


The best thing about this recipe is how much you can make it your own--you can really put whatever toppings you prefer on it-just like a real pizza! 


This makes a really big pizza so it's perfect for taking to holiday gatherings or parties where you can share it with many guests, but if you are just making this pizza on a Friday night I would definitely half the measurements. That way it will be easier to make it into a pizza shape vs. a big block like I made.


Chocolate Pizza
(Adapted from Bruce Weinstein's The Ultimate Candy Book)


32 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups crushed Frosted Flakes cereal
Red food coloring
1 cup smooth peanut butter
6 ounces white chocolate, grated


1. Line a large cookie sheet and line it with wax paper. Set it aside.


2. Melt about half of the chocolate. The best way is a double boiler, if you don't have one, simply place the chocolate in a glass bowl that fits snugly over a pot of hot water and stir occasionally.


3. When the chocolate has melted completely remove the bowl from the hot water and add the remaining chocolate. Stir until all chocolate is completely melted. You may need to place the bowl back on the hot water to melt all chocolate completely. (*See candy temperature note)


4. Add the cereal flakes until mixture is thoroughly coated.


5. Spread the "crust" mixture into a 16-inch circle (if you have a pan large enough). If not just pour into a cookie sheet with edges, which is what I did.


6. Blend several drops of red food coloring into peanut butter to make it look like tomato sauce. This will take quite a bit, but it will get there. Spread the "sauce" over the hardened chocolate "crust". Sprinkle your toppings  and the grated chocolate "cheese" over the top. 


7. Break or cut the pizza with a pizza cutter into desired sizes. Store the pizza intact or in pieces layered between wax paper in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.


8. Enjoy!!


The girls loved topping the pizza with lots of "em-i-ems"
Candy Pizza Topping Ideas
Candy Corn
Caramel Corn
Chocolate covered peanuts
Chocolate covered raisins
Chopped nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios)
Dried Fruits (banana chips, apple rings, apricots, dates, figs, etc)
Crumbled candy bars
Granola
Gummies (bears, frogs, worms, peach rings, etc)
M&M's
Nonpareils 
Pretzels (crushed or whole)
Sprinkles


*Candy Temperature Note: The best temperature for dipping or mixing melted chocolate is 88 to 90°F. I haven't gotten my candy thermometer yet, so like many of you, I just guessed it, which is okay for this recipe, but I have a feeling that on more complex candies this will make a huge difference.


Jalen's favorite was licking the
chocolate covered spoon!
Can you blame her?
This is a great project to do with kids. I got to spend the day with my nieces Jalen, Verity, & Truin so I enlisted their help. 


The white chocolate cheese looks so real that Verity kept asking me when she could eat the shredded cheese. I used a standard cheese grater with white chocolate baking squares. I only used about 3 oz and in hind sight I wish I would have used the whole box! I can never get enough white chocolate.


Make this recipe into your own, with unique toppings and it'll soon be a family favorite.
My Kelso-sized piece of Chocolate Pizza

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog Kelsey! I too love candy and am excited to follow your adventures! I would like to volunteer as a taste-tester for your candy recipes...

    ReplyDelete