Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chocolate Truffles

Check out the article
about this crazy guy who paid
$375,000 for this truffle 
here.
Truffle: nasty mushroom-like thing that dogs sniff out and people dig out of the ground. Can you believe this is what the beautiful, decadent, chocolate confection we call a truffle is named after!


The first chocolate truffle, like many great candies, was accidental. French confectioner Auguste Escoffier accidentally poured chocolate into a pot of cream instead of egg like he intended (who knows what he was trying to make with egg and chocolate? sounds like a mistake waiting to happen anyways...) Instead of getting mad and tossing the mixture, he played with it, formed it into ball and coated it with cocoa. Because it then resembled the fungus truffle, he named it accordingly!


Most truffle recipes are a little involved and there are literally hundreds of variations on this classic. I like to think that every truffle is different and "like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get" Can't pass up a Forest Gump quote right?! They are pretty hard to mess up, I combined several different recipes into this relatively simple one.

Chocolate Truffles


1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz), softened
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tbsp cream
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp flavoring (vanilla, raspberry, almond, etc)
White chocolate or almond bark for coating
Sprinkles or topping of choice


1. Beat the cream cheese with hand held mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar then cream. 


2. Melt the milk chocolate in microwave or double boiler. Add to mixture and stir until there are no more streaks. You now have ganache (a mixture of chocolate & cream). Separate the ganache into however many flavors you like, then add flavoring to each separately. *I did half raspberry extract & half vanilla extract.


3. Cover and place in refrigerator to cool. When manageable, roll into balls and place on wax paper. If the ganache gets too soft, you can put it in the fridge to cool again. Return ganache balls to fridge to set for about 10 minutes. *I put chilled caramel topping inside the vanilla flavored ganache, which was pretty messy, but pretty worth it! ( I formed a bowl of sorts, put the caramel in, wrapped it up, and formed it into a ball)


4. While the truffles are setting, melt your desired chocolate coating in double boiler (or a bowl set atop hot water). Dip the chilled ganache balls in the chocolate, place back on wax paper & top with sprinkles or preferred toppings while coating is still sticky. *I used about 6 oz white chocolate chips for the raspberry truffles, and 6 oz of chocolate almond bark for the vanilla/caramel truffles. 


5. Keep finished truffles in an air tight container in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!




Sorry, I only have pictures of the finished product here because my camera battery was dead and I wasn't patient/didn't plan ahead to charge it before I started. That's probably okay because I was super messy with this recipe--when I sat down to write this, I ran my fingers through my hair and found a couple big ol' chunks of chocolate in there...haha! 

1 comment:

  1. These were amazing... love trying your recipes in bowling night.. my waist line thanks you too! So far these are my fave

    ReplyDelete