Thursday, March 3, 2011

Peppermint Patties

Tonight I whipped up some Peppermint Patties (not Peppermint Patty) and they turned out yummy! I was inspired by the Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies that I have been plowing through this week-we have 8 boxes of GS cookies at our house right now!! The peppermint patties that we know best are York Peppermint Pattie now produced by Hershey's company. They were originally made by Henry Kessler at his company, the York Cone Company. The name came from the city where they were created in 1940: York Pennsylvania.


The recipe I had said you could use a blender so I was pretty excited to use my nifty blender for something other than margaritas and daiquiris (yum!) Don't do this. Not unless you have a better blender than I do anyhow, I had to transfer the "mixture" from the blender and finish it with a hand mixer which worked out just fine in the end, but a messy process.


Peppermint Patties


After moving from the blender
to mixing in the bowl
-much easier!!
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cream
8 ounces dark chocolate (chips or chunks)
1 tsp shortening


1. Mix together the powdered sugar, butter, peppermint, vanilla, & cream together with a mixer on low speed. Once combined, raise the speed to high and mix for 2 minutes until mixture holds together well.


2. Roll into small balls with your hands, flatten and place on wax paper. If the mixture is a little sticky, you can put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes to make it more manageable.


3. Melt the chocolate and shortening in double boiler (or in a bowl set atop a pot of boiling water).
4. Dip the patties into the chocolate with a fork, cover completely and place back on wax paper. Place covered patties in the fridge for about 20 minutes or until hardened. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!


Throughout the recipe I had to put the patties back in the fridge to keep them from getting too soft. Because of my little blender adventure and transfering the mixture, my measurements weren't exact, and I added a little cream to make it smoother, so that just goes to show how fool-proof this recipe is!


For a little extra punch, I added a couple drops of food coloring to half the batch--ever had purple peppermint patties?? Rolls off the tongue doesn't it :)

4 comments:

  1. Kenna looked at the pictures and said, "Yum! I love cookies! Now can we call Kelsey on the bo-puter (computer)?" She loves cookies and skype...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Kelso....LOVE your lil blog spot!! This is so cool! Plus not to mention that I feel a special bond being a fellow candy lover!!!! haha Gonna have to try some of your great recipes. I'll let you know how they go! Take care & stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm!!!! I am getting caught up on your blog!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we should have a candy making party over skype and eat cookies? :)

    ReplyDelete