Thursday, March 17, 2011

No Candy for St. Patrick

St. Patrick's Day is one of the few holidays that doesn't have a lot of focus on candy. Stores just seem to skip right from Valentine's Day to Easter with their candy selections, which really isn't fair to St. Patrick. Gold coins is about all leprechauns can find around their holiday--and only if there's a rainbow ;)

I looked at the typical Irish diet and came to some conculsions as to why Ireland isn't famous for candy:
  • Potatoes. There is such a thing as potato candy. It was invented by the Irish to finish up their left over mashed potatoes. Just add powdered sugar & spread on peanut butter and you've got yourself some candy for dessert! I've tried it...it's about as good as it sounds :(
  • Meat. I did find some recipes for chocolate dipped beef jerky....but really??
  • Beer. The Irish have Guiness to make them jolly. No need for candy?
St. Patrick's Day 2009


Tonight I plan on continuing my St. Patrick's Day tradition of drinking a green beer. Not just any green beer though, a green "Skibeer". My friends and I came up with "Skibeers" on a goofy night out in Vermillion. Just take your favorite tap beer, throw in a couple colored Skittles, & ta-da! You've got a colorful "Skibeer"! The best part of a "Skibeer" is the "Skibittles" at the bottom that you can suck on when you are finished.
Kind of a dark photo, but you get the jist.
**A word of warning: "Skibeers" do fizz up quite a bit, so you must drink them fast before they get flat, but then that has never really been a problem for me...

So St. Patrick doesn't get a lot of candy hype on his holiday, but like any other day, I will integrate candy into nearly everything I do, including celebrating with some green beers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment