Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gimme a Break!

Kit Kats may be my favorite chocolate bar...then again how can one really chose?! I tried my hand at a copycat recipe someone suggested to me. Most recipes I found were for Kit Kat bars (like a whole pan that you cut up like a cake, not individual candy pieces...bars vs. bars=very confusing!) which would be much much easier than what I did. I had to try it the "real" way though.
I had lots of people sample these & the overall rating was pretty good. My grandparents were visiting for a bit so they were offered a sample as well. Grandpa of course scooped one right up, but my grandmother in her EXACT words asked if he would just "break her off a piece of his Kit Kat bar" without even realizing that she was a walking advertisement for Nestle! I thought everyone knew the little slogan, but like Andy Bernard on "The Office" it just didn't click :)
 p.s. I LOVE The Office!!
This recipe calls for peanut butter in the chocolate coating, but I'm not sure I was a fan because 1. it made the chocolate a little softer/stickier, and 2. I don't really taste peanut butter in normal Kit Kats bars so it wasn't "the real thing". Like I said though--they really did turn out yummy and definitely worth a try.   
Kit Kat vs. Kelso's Kit Kat
Ya get more bang for the buck from mine ;)


Supplies
Kit Kat Bars
1 box Club crackers
2 cups graham crackers (1 packet)
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup peanut butter



Crackers
1. Line a greased cake pan with crackers. Set aside. Crush graham crackers in plastic bag.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add milk and sugars. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil, add the graham crackers and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour half of the mixture over the crackers and spread it out evenly. Put another layer of crackers on top and pour on the rest of the mixture. Top that with a final layer of crackers. Set in the fridge to cool completely
This next part is the hard way...for easy way go to step 6.

Cookin' it up
4. Cut "Kit Kat-sized" bars from your layered masterpiece. Set aside
5. Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap or wax paper (I used plastic, but prefer wax usually).
6. Melt the milk chocolate, butterscotch chips, & peanut butter in saucepan until smooth. Pour enough to lightly cover the bottom of your lined baking sheet. Arrange your cut bars atop of the chocolate layer (you can even arrange them in groups of four if you like). Pour the remaining chocolate over top of the bars and spread with spatula to cover top & sides. Let chocolate set in the fridge until hard. Break em up & enjoy!!
The easy way..skip steps 4-6


I know I skipped a few photo steps,
but I was in candy making
mode & forgot-sorry!
7. Leave layered candy in cake pan. Melt only half the chocolate, peanut butter & butterscotch and pour on top of bars. Let chocolate set, then cut up bars and serve.

A little Kit Kat history:

The "Kit Cat" was started by Roundtree, a candy company in York, UK in the 1930s and the familiar four-finger bar was developed after a worker at the Rowntree York Factory put a suggestion in a recommendation box for a snack that "a man could take to work in his pack up". I like the way that guys thinks!! I'm always carrying candy in my purse/pockets/glove compartment, but you need to have the flat, durable kinds so they don't get all broken up!! :) The Kit Kat grew in popularity, expanded in dozens flavors worldwide (like "Aloe Yogurt" and "Chocolate Banana" flavors in Japan!!) and is now over a billion bars are produced each year by the Nestle company.
I'm glad that I could try to copycat the Kit Kat, but I doubt I will every make on as good as the original...gimme a break!
My pan was too big for the fridge :(

Problem Solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment