Friday, March 11, 2011

PEZ-Heads

Original PEZ Ad
Love it!
Who didn't collect Pez containers as a kid? Oh, I know it wasn't just me, there are lots of "PEZhead Conventions" for people just like us held every year! The highest valued dispenser was a factory proto-type Mickey Mouse dispenser sold for $7,000!! So, my collection of 20 containers from the 90s isn't that impressive compared to those that have 100s of originals, but I'm still a proud collector.

PEZ came from the german word for peppermint, PfeffErminZ, and were originally marketed in 1927 as a compressed peppermint candy. The most common flavors now are orange, strawberry, lemon, & grape. Here's a list of the PEZ flavors, past & present:    
    
  • General: Orange, Strawberry, Lemon, Grape, Chocolate, Cola, PeppermintCherry, Raspberry
  • Sour: Watermelon, Green Apple, Blue Raspberry, Pineapple
  • Retired: Apple, Chlorophyll Mint, Coffee, Lime, Menthol, Yogurt
  • Sugar-Free: Orange, Lemon & Strawberry

The first interactive dispenser, produced in 1948 looked much like a cigarette lighter (I still light my candy cigarettes with my pez dispensers!) and evolved into what we know & love PEZ containers to be today. Check out the PEZ Website for more fun history.

PEZ is a wonderful treat not just because of the great candy, but you get to play with the dispenser, refil it, play with it, & trade them with your friends! PEZ does have it's quirks though:
    
    Donald Duck-
    my favorite dispenser
    
  • Candy comes out of the character's neck, not the mouth...weirds me out.
  • No arms for the PEZ people :(
  • It's nearly impossible to refil the dispenser without spilling the tiny candies as you try to transport the WHOLE stack into the "body". You need three hands to be truly effective.
  • At a PEZ party, if one dispenser falls over it's a domino effect=disaster
Just had PEZ on my mind this week because my niece Kenna was awarded a PEZ container after she ate all her supper this last weekend-her reaction was perfect! She carefully dispensed one little candy to her brother, then rightfully kept the rest for herself and carried her little Pooh dispenser proudly with her for the rest of the night. It reminded me of my childhood and how I treasured my sweet treats!


1 comment: